Sunday, June 29, 2008

Walking on Summer Evenings

I went for a walk last night.

I love summer evenings.
The heat of the day begins to melt away . . .
A mild breeze blows, but I'm not cold . . .
Colors are more vivid in the light of the setting sun . . .
The smells of grass being cut, of fresh cut wood, of sprinkler water on the sidewalks . . .
The sounds of children playing, as their mothers call them in, or of people playing tennis in the distance . . .
Friends riding bikes together . . .
Passing people as they walk their dogs, and exchanging a smile and a "Good Evening" . . .
Appreciating the beauty of houses and yards, and recognizing the hard work that it is to make them, and keep them, so beautiful . . .
The quiet time to think, ponder, and pray . . .
Singing quietly to myself . . .
The fun of getting wet as I run through sprinkler after sprinkler, but drying off within minutes, laughing as I do so, and not caring who may be watching me . . .

Yes, I love walking on summer evenings. It reminds me of home, of family, of friends, of childhood memories.
I love walking on summer evenings. I can dream and plan my future.
I love walking on summer evenings. Though I walk alone, the beauty, the sights, the smells, the sounds, and the very feeling in the air, remind me that I'm not alone. There is a God in Heaven who lives, and who loves me. He even knows my name.
I love walking on summer evenings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home