Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tender Mercies

My friend Lori has been blessed with a gift in expressing, through her words, many thoughts and feelings that I think we all experience and cherish. Her last post filled my heart with gratitude toward so many people, for than many, many things they do for me. It truly is "magic." Anyway, her post inspired me to share the words to a song I put together, which expresses some similar thoughts, but in a different way. The fact that you are reading this most likely means that you have touched my life in a special way, and for that I sincerely thank you. Every line comes from my own experiences, and I have found that many of these lines are oft repeated in my life. So thank you, to all who daily bless my life, and special thanks to my God who sends His tender mercies to me. Letting me know that he knows my name, and that he loves me. It is my hope that by sharing this you too will be able to see some of the tender mercies of God in your life, and that you too may feel the deep and personal love He has for you.

The initial inspiration for this song came from the words of Elder Bednar when he testified:

"The tender mercies of the Lord are real and . . . they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord's timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them.
". . . the Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ."

(Elder David A. Bednar, "The Tender Mercies of the Lord," Ensign, May 2005, 99)


Tender Mercies
by Spencer Fields

A simple smile, a thoughtful deed.
Encour'ging words in a time of need.
A golden sunrise. Birds in a tree—
Singing their sweet songs, just for me.

An act of kindness. A crust of bread.
Knowing for me a prayer's been said.
Stars in the night sky. Waves on the sand.
A timely phone call. An outreached hand.

They are tender mercies, from God above.
They fill my soul with Heaven's love.
God knows my name; Knows my heart too.
His Spirit whispers: "My child, I love you."

Meeting a friend after years apart.
Seeing God's peace bind a broken heart.
Shoulders to cry on when life seems dim.
Finding joy and gladness, when I trust Him.

Some added strength, assurance too.
Protection, guidance in all I do.
Some selfless service a passing thought.
By the Holy Spirit my soul is taught.

They are tender mercies, from God above.
They fill my soul with Heaven's love.
God knows my name, knows my heart too.
His Spirit whispers: "My child, I love you."

They are not random, they come with care,
That I may know that God is there.
It's in God's timing that helps me see
His tender mercies are meant for me.

Tender Mercies, every day I've found
His tender mercies in my life abound.
God's tender mercies bless me, bless you.
His Spirit whispers: "My child, I love you."

Tender Mercies

2 Comments:

Blogger lori said...

Spencer,
I didn't even know you had this blog until Kourtnee left a comment about it on my blog.

I love the words to the song - how beautiful! Wish I could hear them with the music! And I have loved scrolling through all of these uplifting posts. So glad you're choosing to live "After the manner of happiness"...so glad you are around to inspire the rest of us to do the same!

Monday, July 14, 2008 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Like the Love That Lets Us Share Our Name said...

Brother Fields

I found your Song "Tender Mercies"
while doing research on the web for my talk this Sunday in Scarament. I would like to use it as a Poem. I will give you the correct. Thank you so much for sharing. I really enjoyed looking through your Blog.

Sister Tammy Gibson
Miami Oklahoma Ward
Jolin, Missouri Stake

Friday, August 28, 2009 10:33:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home